During my tutorial with Davida, certain factors of my practice were highlighted. I have thought about certain areas that I should focus on and how I will push my exploration towards materials further:
- think about the process that is used to create the work and how this is the process that is used to create accidental marks
- Everything that has been produced up to this point is what can be used to carry on making work. Whether this is the marks that have been made or the process and refining it.
- Do not throw in random work i.e. materials and mediums and focus more on what I have
- Digital? Scan work into the computer and think about possibly printing digital work onto the fabric and/ or paper
- Push the process to its limits.
- Consider using more personal materials.
- Doesn’t always have to be paint
- Also look at Karla Black and her process behind her work.
I will take these notes further and continue to push the process, that I have been using, to its limits. This will again enable the work to be successful and show and prove how the interaction of materials can be manipulated in various ways.
The ideas lab was a strong introduction to the year and to also help generate work at a fast pace. The images are responses from Cindy Sherman’s Untitled Film #59. This image was given to me by someone else. I focused mainly on the movement, isolation and the background rather than the main subject which is Sherman. Focusing on these elements created an abstracted response. Using a mixture of material given, gave me the ability to create the response to the movement.
Returning for the second year has highlighted negatives and positives in the work that I produced throughout the summer. I believed that the imagery of Barbie being ‘destroyed’ conveyed that she isn’t this perfect role model, instead to my peers and tutor she was described as “a woman who has been raped and left in the mountains.”
From this feedback, I can understand why and it is a fault that needs to be resolved. To strengthen my concept of Barbie and also to the brief work alongside my practice I will conduct the following:
- Research into the origins of Barbie and the meaning of her.
- Research into Greek mythology and art.
- Find an artefact/ object/ artwork for the brief
- Begin to read about Versace.
Bringing Greek mythology into my work will create connections with the obsession of having a ‘perfect’ look that has been created by societies.